Pardew accepts FA punishment
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has confirmed he will not appeal against the punishment he received for his headbutt on Hull’s David Meyler earlier this month.
An independent FA commission imposed a seven-match ban on Pardew, the three of which will see him barred completely from the stadium, for his clash with Meyler during the Magpies 4-1 win over Hull on March 1.
He was given leave to appeal the punishment, but Pardew insists he never considered that an option.
“It was an independent panel and it was a decision that I was going to accept,” Pardew told reporters ahead of Saturday’s trip to Fulham.
“I had no intention to appeal the decision whatever it was, and therefore was going to accept what they decided to do.”
Pardew quickly apologised for his actions, which saw him fined £100,000 by the club, and he used Thursday’s press conference to say sorry once again.
“I just want to reiterate my apologies, to David and Steve (Bruce, Hull’s manager) in particular, to fans up and down country, but particularly my own at Newcastle who have been terrific, and the club and Mike (Ashley, Newcastle owner) for supporting me over a situation I should never have got involved in and was stupid,” he added.
“I sent a letter to Steve to say there was no animosity on my side towards David, and to say sorry basically for the incident that happened. I deeply regret it.”
Pardew will not be at Craven Cottage on Saturday but he is confident assistant manager John Carver can handle the pressure.
“Our game plan is in place,” he said. “John Carver knows it inside-out and I trust him 100 per cent to deliver it.
“I’ve never had much luck going to Fulham with Newcastle. It’s a big game for us and Fulham and we will be looking to get a win.”